The Family Home Program provides an opportunity for an adult with a developmental disability to live with a family to share their life together. It is a chance to welcome someone into their home and provide support. Families come from all walks of life. No two families are the same and diversity is valued. Providing a caring stable home environment that promotes acceptance, a focus on dignity, and helping to create belonging are the foundations of the Family Home Program. Family Home providers will make an impact, but it’s never just a one-way relationship. The mutual benefits are life changing.
Adults with a developmental disability must be referred by Developmental Services Ontario Eastern Region (DSOER).
Referrals can be made by a Case Manager, parent/caregiver or a self-referral.
After you have been referred by DSOER, the Family Home Coordinator will contact you to discuss your request.
Interested in becoming a Family Home Provider?
When you become a Family Home Provider you begin a rewarding life-sharing experience, bringing your gifts, interests, and skills to someone who will benefit from your home.
Family Home Providers provide a safe, healthy, and respectful home to individuals with a developmental disability. Opportunities exist for both permanent full-time home providers and for occasional part-time respite providers. The Family Home Program is grounded in the philosophy of supporting individuals in a respectful manner that involves people fully in their lives and home.
- Provide support to the individual living in your home with a developmental disability;
- Assist the individual with all aspects of daily living;
- Provide a safe, healthy, and respectful home to the individual based on a mutually positive match;
- Be involved in the development of individual plans of support;
- Work closely with Inspire to ensure Ministry guidelines and expectations are respected;
- Guide and support the individual in the community, at work, and in social activities;
- Help the individual develop and maintain a relationship with family and peers.
- Previous experience providing support to an adult with a developmental disability;
- Post-secondary degree or diploma is an asset;
- Strong communication skills;
- Able to make a long-term, intentioned commitment;
- Potential Family Home providers must be financially stable and maintain a safe and healthy home;
- All persons living in the home must be non-smokers;
- Access to reliable transportation;
- Successful completion of Inspire’s screening program including the submission of a Criminal Reference Check for all adults in your home is required.
Individuals, couples, and families are welcome to apply. Family Home Providers will be financially compensated for their work. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send your application package by email to email@example.com or by fax to 613-937-4550.